Report Unauthorized Transactions | Columbia County Sanctuary Movement CRM

Report Unauthorized Transactions

There has been a recent spike in fraud for those who received relief through the Excluded Workers Fund.


If you believe you've been a victim of unauthorized transactions, follow these steps to report any fraud on your EWF benefits to Blackhawk and the NY Department of Labor.

  1. Submit the Excluded Worker Complaint Form.
  2. Call Blackhawk or Download Dispute Form
    • Dispute transactions by calling Blackhawk. Lines are open 24/7.
      • (833) 458-4262 or (888) 244-5705
      • Or download the dispute form by logging into your account at:
      • On the line with the agent, request a new card and a case number. You also need to download a list of your unauthorized transaction from your account.
  3. Notarize your dispute form.
    • Collect your notarized dispute form and list of transactions.
  4. Collect a police report.
    • Bring your notarized dispute form and list of transactions to your local precinct and ask for a police report.
  5. Email and submit your documents
    • Send to Blackhawk your Notarized dispute form, list of transactions, and completed police report within 10 days of opening your claim by:
      • emailing
      • or send via fax: (623) 399-1301
      • Or mail to: Cardholder Dispute Services, 10615 Professional Circle Ste. 102, Reno, NV 89521


Contact CCSM if you need support for any of these steps.